Re: [tlug] The Android Has Landed

Shawn,

Please let me know, if you so kindly would, if you get notified of an
update and can put it off until you are in a place where you can set
your phone to only use wi-fi and then accept the update.  That's what
the android dev list tells me they can and do do.
Are you talking about updating applications? Then I can already tell you that you can definitely update via WiFi at your discretion.

But it may be that the people at the DoCoMo shop are speaking about something else. Gmail, calendar, and maybe other things will automatically synchronize, and it might be that they only happen over 3G, I'm not sure. I know you can turn synchronization of particular Google apps on and off entirely, but so long as they are on, you probably can't control what network they use.

Also, system updates might also be another matter. If Android (Cupcake?) or the Linux kernel or something were to update, then I don't know what that would entail.

It seems to me that you and the DoCoMo staff might be speaking with slightly different terminology, leading to some confusion. I'm not defending the DoCoMo people, because maybe they did tell you the wrong thing. I'm just saying that it seems like a little clarification of exactly what is at issue might be in order.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G