Re: [tlug] The Android Has Landed (was: First Android Phone in Japan release date announced)

Thanks for the useful information.

> What I have read on the web is that it does 8GB, so I'm not sure if I
> believe the sales guy.

Please let us know.

> I got the white model, and the headphone adaptor (necessary, because it
> does not have a regular mini-phono jack) is black. Kind of a miss, but a
> minor one.

> I guess I'll leave it at that, as I'm probably more interested in this
> stuff than anyone else.
>
> But if anyone wants me to check something out with the phone, let me
> know. I'd be happy to learn how to use it together!

I think maybe this is not what you have in mind for using it but well
if you decide to perhaps write an app for it and you set up eclipse
could you just check one thing for me?  Could you check if fastboot
runs.  I'm not asking you to try to boot anything other than your
normal os, just see if the bootloader runs and gives you the option of
booting something from the sdcard.  If it works, you can reboot
normally with

$ fastboot reboot

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fastboot

Starting Fastboot

To start fastboot, first get to the bootloader: turn off your phone
and hold down the "camera" button while powering it back on. You will
see a white screen with skateboarding bugdroids. If you just see the
normal multicolored bootloader screen, you need to get the device side
of fastboot working as noted below. Plug your phone into the usb and
if you see "serial0" hit the "back" key. You should now see "fastboot"
on the screen.

Fastboot prerequisites for Linux [probably this rest isn't necessary
--  if you get stuck with a FASTBOOT message on your screen but
haven't set up Linux to run Fastboot we at least know the handset is
allowing it.  I presume that you could just poweroff and back on but
haven't tested that and understand if you would rather not try. ]

To be able to use fastboot, you need to be running either an ADP1 or
the Engineering Bootloader on your G1.

If you are developing on a linux host, you may need to tweak UDEV to
recognize the phone in fastboot mode. You may already have done this
to get the phone recognized in Eclipse, but you need to do it again
for fastboot, since fastboot uses a different device ID: 0bb4:0c01.
The warning sign is that fastboot says "< waiting for device >"
forever, even when you have the "FASTBOOT" message on the phone; if
this happens, try adding the device ID 0bb4:0c01 to your UDEV
configuration for Android.

For Opensuse 11.1, the following config file, in
/etc/udev/rules.d/11-android.rules, seems to work:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0c01",
MODE="0666", OWNER="mylogname"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0c02",
MODE="0666", OWNER="mylogname"

NOTE: change "mylogname" to your Linux login ID.