Re: [tlug] First Android Phone in Japan release date announced

> Google gave me an HTC Magic (not locked), so I thought I would use it
> as my main cellphone. After inserting my Softbank SIM-card, I could
> call and receive calls. But Softbank emails don't work. I asked
> Softbank: they said only Softbank-branded phones can be used with a
> Softbank SIM-card. So I can't use it as my main phone.

You know what.  I think you can.  It looks like it's been done.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/midiman/20090703
http://kuba.fm/2009/06/11/flashing-and-hacking-the-android-phone-for-japanese-softbank-network/

When you get it to work, thank Maurice!  His posted link pointed to
those above.  I was sure the IME instructions he posted needed root to
do and so looked into how to get it.  Looks like you can on cupcake
(1.5) after all.

Shawn