Re: [tlug] First Android Phone in Japan release date announced

> I am leaning towards getting sim-free handset from someplace

Warning: don't take it for granted that everything will work.

Google gave me an HTC Magic (not locked), so I thought I would use it
as my main cellphone. After inserting my Softbank SIM-card, I could
call and receive calls. But Softbank emails don't work. I asked
Softbank: they said only Softbank-branded phones can be used with a
Softbank SIM-card. So I can't use it as my main phone.

Now you might wonder: who cares about Softbank email when Gmail is
available through 3G? Well, I have a pre-paid SIM, which means no 3G
but free Softbank emails. I configured Gmail to forward all of my
emails to Softbank.

In other news, language learners might be interested in Ankidroid, the
Android port of the open source Anki spaced repetition software, I
launched it 5 days ago, with 277 users so far.

Cheers,
Nicolas Raoul
http://nrw.free.fr