Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

On jeudi 04 juin 09, at 16:31, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

JC Helary writes:

On jeudi 04 juin 09, at 10:39, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Busting the UAW, however, can do nothing but
good for the U.S. economy.

Busting a union good for the economy ? That's news to me...

Yes.  And if it's news to you, you haven't been looking at youth
unemployment rates in Spain and France recently.  Unions are not about
the workers who get hurt most by economic downturns, unions are about
protecting their members.  If that hoses the rest of the people in the
country, well, "my job is safe, you take care of yourself, Jack!"

Ah! So it's unions that keep unskilled workers to find good jobs ? _Thats_ news.

The issue is not unions, as far as unemployment in France (I don't know for Spain) is concerned. The problem is education/(lack of) vocational training policies.

Yes, unions are about protecting members and the more members the more protected people from silly "free market, free to loose your pension to management goons" policies. And of course, there are unions that are pro management _or_ have to accept pro management policies in exchange for a few benefits (that generally affect all workers, like in the general strike of '95).

And as far as I've _experienced_ France in my first decades of life, what hoses the "rest of the people" is those silly Indians (who don't have unions) who happen to accept plants that big business find too expensive in France. Ooops, too expensive _after_ management has been paid huge bonuses for delocalizing the plants...

Some unions are necessary.  Managements are not nice people, they're
profit maximizers (or a reasonable facsimile as far as the workers are
concerned), and they do have and exploit monopsony power vs. their
workforces.

Management is not necessary. Workers can manage their work themselves. _Profit_ from other people's labor is what messes everything.

Insanity to pay workers decent wages when there is not social safety
network around ?

Excuse me, but I wonder how many people on this list make the
equivalent of USD 80,000/year at the age of 37, with expectations that
that will rise to USD 140,000/year by retirement, and that they'll
retire on over USD 100,000/year with 10% deductibles on everything
health-related from contact lenses to open heart surgery?

And how relevant this list membership is ? Are list members working in the car/oil industry that is at the core of 20th century economics ? I don't think so.

And if union workers can get those benefits and management can get huge bonuses because the american market just loves Hummers and other monstrosities then good for them. But the problem is not with the union, it is with the market.

UAW could have been smart and tried to make GM change of orientation, but it is the same for management. The ones who are hosed now are not management (they can get their bonuses other places, because _they_ have no problem being "mobile") but workers, unionized or not, in this messed up economy, because it is not "mobility" that's going to help them much.

Without attending college, and with "tenure" (ie, you have to murder
your boss to get fired once you've been on the job for 5 years)?

Well, public service has similar treatment for its workers, any issue with that ? And isn't car based consumption some kind of public service in the US ?

And yes, it's insane, when Toyota is paying 60% of what GM et al do.

And Tata ? How much is paying Tata its workers ? How insane is that ?

What about a few GM plants delocalized to India to show those silly american workers.

No.  I'm comparing the lower-than-Japanese levels of payment to the
unimaginable-by-Japanese-standards high quality of care that the UAW
medical plan provides to its members.

And that's good because if they did not have that they would not be able to get reasonable health care by any "normally" developed country's standards, including Cuba for that matter.

Jean-Christophe Helary