Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> But I've been told by people working in industry that gakubatsu affect
> hiring and promotion there.  Eg, the Keio-Mitsubishi connection is
> famous.  I think it was Honda (I and the engineer-turned-economist who
> told me about it were both pretty "happy" at that point of the
> evening) that avoids engineers from Tokyo and Kansai schools, almost
> exclusively filling development positions from Kyushu Kogyo Dai.  Of
> course the Todai network is unbeatable in finance, politics, and the
> bureaucracy.

Something I also mentioned on this very list, being an alumnus of Suzuki
Jidosha K.K. (Suzuki "Katana" development team), where a Todai or
Kwansei degree virtually assures that you will not be touched for
employment, but a degree from one of the old Chosa or Satsuma schools
was better than gold ...

--
CL