Re: [tlug] [OT] toshiba laptop with no power; find the culprit...

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 18:19, nigel barker <tech@example.com> wrote:
>> Do you have an idea of the possible source of the problem?  The
>> possibilities that I can think of are:
>> - the AC adapter
> is there a LED on the brick?

This model has no led on the brick, so unfortunately I cannot check
this.  As Michal suggested, I will try to find a multimeter to see if
the AC adapter itself works.

>> - the battery
> is it your original? If so its very old.

Yes.  It is 5.5 years old.

> Try removing the battery and then
> switching on (with the AC of course)

This also doesn't work (no sign of life from PC or adapter).

>> - something in between (what?)
> broken contact where you push the jack in? Something burnt out inside?

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have not smelled anything abnormal but
I cannot exclude that some kind of power unit broke.

>> Do you know of any place or shop in Tokyo where I could go and have
>
> round here we have pc recycle shops that sell power bricks cheaply. Take
> your laptop somewhere like that and ask to try one.

Great.  I will find one in Akihabara after trying the multimeter.

Evan