Re: [tlug] Backward compatibility problem in RHEL5

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 08:31:22PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Christian Horn writes:
>  > On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:41:15AM -0800, shikdar mohib yazdani wrote:
>  > > I have an application which was written for RedHat Enterprise
>  > > Linux 3 with gcc 3.2.3
>  >
>  > RedHat ships the package compat-gcc-34 with rhel5, install that and
>  > try to compile you app with that.
>
> Be aware that that kind of thing will only work for a few months, a
> couple years at most.  Fairly quickly various libraries are going to
> start assuming GCC 4 compatibility, and eventually you're be stuck
> with a system you can't upgrade.
>
> Ie, sooner or later you're going to have to fix the app.

True.. or take the big virtualization-step, so emulating or vir-
tualizing the old linux-distro together with the application.
Havent heard yet of this crude workaround in linux-world thou,
only of corporations bound to applications running under
virtualized windows nt, that has serious problems on decent hard-
ware.

Christian