Re: [tlug] Looking for a distribution to replace Ubuntu

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 02:07:07PM +0900, Edward Middleton wrote:
> Curt Sampson wrote:
> > Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:
> >
> >> a) if you use stable, and you know the year long release cycle you
> >> either stick with horrible outdated software, use a backport server or
> >> just bang your had against the wall
> >>

> > Ok, so now I'm getting the sense of it. "Stable" means "minimal changes"
> > in the Linux world, not, "everything that's not bleeding edge."
> >

> Thats what it means in the Debian based distribution world.

I'd say that is what it means in the RH section of the world as well.
Use Fedora, always broken, full of "cutting edge" stuff that doesn't
work--and worse, the developers blaming it on the users, (save for one
fellow, the Empathy developer, who is also studying Japanese, apropos of
nothing, in NY) or use CentOS and/or RHEL, which runs a 2.6.18 or so
kernel, uses, for example, an older version of vpnc that doesn't support
the "obfuscated" keyword and the like.

Actually, this brings back fond memories--I remember posting here,
"Running Debian is boring."  Steve T. posted back, Not if you run Sid.
I posted back, I've been running Sid and it runs so well, it too, is
boring.

Of course, the computer deities were watching, and perhaps remembering
the adage, "How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans."  After
that, everything began breaking.

It's always a tossup, with Sid, however, coming rather close, most of
the time (though most can be a moving a target) to getting newer
packages and not breaking.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

 Cordelia: What's going on? Oh god, is the world ending? I have to
research a paper on Bosnia for tomorrow, but if the world's ending,
I'm not gonna bother.