Re: [tlug] Looking for a distribution to replace Ubuntu

On 2008-11-26 00:23 +0900 (Wed), Frank Lee wrote:

> "Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop" has Pidgin 2.5.2 after the software update with
> the default repository. Would upgrading your Ubuntu to 8.10 be easy
> enough?

That appears to be my issue. Bryan has been running 8.04 forever, and
that's what got installed on my machine, but I was never informed that
8.10 is actually the current release and 8.04 is actually an LTS ("Long
Term Support") release for people who prefer old software to frequent
updates. (Or maybe 8.10 wasn't out at the time I installed this a month
or so ago.)

Though I do note that 8.04 received the latest PostgreSQL 8.3.5 update
only three weeks after it was released. So it's not like they can't roll
at least some stuff out with reasonable alacrity.

On 2008-11-26 10:54 +0900 (Wed), Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

> a) if you use stable, and you know the year long release cycle you
> either stick with horrible outdated software, use a backport server or
> just bang your had against the wall

Ok, so now I'm getting the sense of it. "Stable" means "minimal changes"
in the Linux world, not, "everything that's not bleeding edge."

cjs