Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: /etc/fstab was mucked; simply and don't fight defaults

Curt Sampson writes:

 > Oh, I see. You're not trying to figure out how to mount some disk and
 > twiddle it; you're trying to figure out where a disk would be mounted in
 > some particular boot configuration so you can edit some config files or
 > something.

Right.  That's the whole source of the problem here, and it's
well-solved by manufacturer-specified device UUIDs or admin-specified
volume labels for recurrent mounts (not necessarily "permanent", might
be a removable backup medium shared by several systems).