Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: /etc/fstab was mucked; simply and don't fight defaults

jep200404 writes:

 > It might be worse than that.
 > Actually, it might be _output_ from gparted ala

Allah save the Caliph!  Why ".htm"?  "Hurt The Man"!?

 > Although that's an acceptable thing to do,
 > for now, I would simply leave out an entry for /dev/sdb1,
 > and let Kubuntu mount it where it wants to by default,

Yikes!  (K)ubuntu mounts things without a word from root?  As Linus
would say, f*ck me!

I'm not sure this is simpler from David's point of view, either, since
he'll have to refer to it by /media/something_uninformative since it
probably doesn't currently have a sane volume label.

 > The fdisk output from an earlier post confirmed that he does
 > not have a 5 partition on the 320GB drive.
 >
 >    http://www.tlug.jp/ML/0810/msg00178.html
 >
 > Perhaps sdb5 is for a different drive that does have such a partition.

My guess is that the installer temporarily identified something as
/dev/sda that was NOT the internal hard drive, probably the install
media or the external drive (a plausible place to put upgrade media,
no?) and put the internal hard drive on /dev/sdb, where it formatted a
swap partition in /dev/sdb5.