Re: [tlug] Okay... wow. Ubuntu just impressed me greatly.

On 07/10/08 04:44, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

>> Since Apple have had a hand in CUPS, things do seem to have progressed
>> fantastically in that area, I agree.
>
> Yup, except canons top models (C1 line) which still rely on crappy
> crappy binary files and not only CUPS stuff.

That, however, is Canon's doing more than anything else. It's a reflection
of the typical Japanese "proprietary is good" philosophy. Epson is an
exception to the rule in this respect in that they have allowed ghostscript
to interface with their proprietary drivers at all.

My own preference goes to HP, though. There's full support of most of their
models with 100% open-source drivers developed by HP themselves.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Anarchy may not be the best form of government, but it's better than no
government at all.