Re: [tlug] Re: Somewhat OT- open source software for US voting machines

On 10/7/08, Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com> wrote:

>  In our usual single-member electorates if the final result is very close,
>  the paper ballots are recounted several times and every disputed paper
>  argued over. Usually it ends up in court, and the judge can order a new
>  election for the district if no clear result is possible.

Sounds sensible.

Just what "problem" are you e-voting guys trying to solve, again?

Non-USians usually have no idea how much us USians like closure
on things like this.  We have not had a decisive President since
President Reagan.  Doubt in the way ballots are being (mis)counted
is really the last thing we need right now.

An open question, somewhat related:  does anyone know anything
about how the Nielsen company does TV ratings?  I'll be happy to
relate 1st hand experiences if anyone is interested.

-sb