Re: [tlug] Okay... wow. Ubuntu just impressed me greatly.

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 22:59 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

> Canon's MP610 has the been the subject of several open-source efforts
> to get the printer and the scanner to work, so it is quite well
> supported. However, as with all Canon inkjet printers, the maximum
> resolution with free drivers is a measly 600dpi, and there is no
> borderless printing. This is a truly sad situation (I have an MP710),
> and AFAIK the linux binary drivers also do noy give greater
> resolution? What about the Mac drivers, do you get the full resolution
> and similar functionaly (borderless printing) as under Windows?

I completely forgot about this post until now....

The default Linux Canon driver is indeed limited to 600dpi but there
is a third-party PPD that gives the full 2400dpi.

http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/new-ppd-files-providing-more-printing.html

I haven't checked the Mac, the further I stay away from the tiny 14"
screen the more my eyes thank me :)

http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/canonshot.png

Wayne