Re: [tlug] Dinky computers

2008/9/15 Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley@example.com>:
> On Friday September 12 2008 20:02, Johan Berntsson wrote:
>>Is it at all possible to buy a Asus Eee with Linux in Japan? I've only
>>seen the Windows XP version here.
>
> Does Newegg deliver to Japan? If i get one, that's where i'd order it
> from.

Dinky computer duly purchased, an HP Mini (nice big keyboard, 1280x768
screen) for 78k yen.  Very nice it is too.

'Tis the Vista Business version, a licence which would be useful to me
if you could change its install language (as you can, for instance,
when picking up a laptop in the Netherlands, where most languages are
on offer at first install time) but it's a Japanese-only version and
therefore not very useful.  Anyway, installing Ubuntu from an SD card
was painless, though I still have a few out-of-tree drivers that need
dealing with.

The keyboard is Japanese, but nevertheless it's a good keyboard with
decent sized keys and a sensibly wide spacebar.  It hasn't been
causing me a problem, though at some point I need to write a sensible
keymap.

--
Ian.