Re: [tlug] MySQL behaving strangely

Edward,

Thank you for responding.
What you need to do is force the package to be remove the package even if an error occurs in the pre-removal script. I don't know whether you can do this with the Synaptic package manager but I am pretty sure it is possible with dpkg.

Even dpkg is barfing up errors:

$ sudo dpkg --force-all -r mysql-server-5.0
dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting a removal.
(Reading database ... 111006 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mysql-server-5.0 ...
* Stopping MySQL database server mysqld [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--remove):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
* Stopping MySQL database server mysqld [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "stop" failed.
* Starting MySQL database server mysqld [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
mysql-server-5.0

Man... this is annoying. Why won't MySQL just die when I tell it to?

--
Dave M G