Re: [tlug] MySQL behaving strangely

Dave M G wrote:
Edward,

Thank you for responding.
What you need to do is force the package to be remove the package even if an error occurs in the pre-removal script. I don't know whether you can do this with the Synaptic package manager but I am pretty sure it is possible with dpkg.

Even dpkg is barfing up errors:

$ sudo dpkg --force-all -r mysql-server-5.0
dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting a removal.

[...]

Man... this is annoying. Why won't MySQL just die when I tell it to?

Dave,

this is a bit ugly, but should work:

* terminate all running mysql processes (killall -9 mysqld, check with ps that there are no more Mysql processes)
* make the init script look like it does what the dpkg wants it to do
* * edit /etc/init.d/mysql - add "exit 0" as the second line in the script. This makes it seem that stop and start works.
* Now try to remove with dpkg as you did before.
* Check that /etc/init.d/mysql, /etc/my.cnf, /etc/mysql/, /root/.my*, and /etc/default/mysql is gone (or delete them)
* Try installing mysql again.
* * check that the different paths for sockets and pid files are the same in /etc/mysql/*, /etc/init.d/mysql, /etc/my.cnf, and /etc/default/mysql

kind regards,
-sig

--
Sigurd Urdahl
Linux, goofing, cooking, making fire, computer security, having a