Re: [tlug] Permissions are like Rubik's cubes [SOLVED]

On 2008-09-02 13:30 +0900 (Tue), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> So what is your preferred name for the collection of facts that
> includes both the directory and the information in inodes (plus
> extended attributes which may or may not be kept in inodes, etc, etc)?
> "Metadata" doesn't quite work here for me (it's too unstructured)....

But that "collection of facts" itself is pretty unstructured. The
directory information is part of the file information in DOS, but not in
Unix, where a directory entry is just a pointer to an inode on the same
FS. In Unix, the permissions and owner info is part of the inode, and
has no connection with a directory entry, which may not even exist (or
there may be a dozen of them); in DOS, every existing file has exactly
one directory entry, and doesn't have permissions information.

Perhaps, "contents" and "non-content information"? "Metadata" seems easier.

cjs