Re: [tlug] FTTH ISP recommendation

Curt Sampson wrote:
As for the general argument, if you're saying

Well if you read what I was saying it would be a little clearer. YMMV was what I said.

As for the "SNR" stuff, well, err...I'm also not sure where even to
start. You are aware that a piece of metal doesn't have a "bandwidth in
Hertz", right? And that only communications channels, not wires, have a
signal-to-noise ratio?

Lets make it simple. A phone line is designed to support 3.1 kHz bandwidth with an acceptable SNR. A Category 6 cable is designed to handle a 250MHz bandwidth with an acceptable SNR.

I presume you have tried lowering the MTU? It could be an MTU discovery problem.

The characteristics don't indicate that, AFICS. I get very consistent
transfer rates.

Thats a shame that would have been easy to fix.

It was my understanding that, in general, landlords don't own the
utility poles outside there building so it isn't up to them to decide
how they are used.

He's not objecting to how the utility pole is used; he's objecting to
new things attached to his building.

Yes, well he probably objects to the hours and company you keep too, but clearly not enough to reject you as a tenant. The point is not that you would do it without the landlord consent but *if* you are entitled to do it, and you let your landlord know this fact the ball is in his court to resolve your internet issues.

Edward