Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo, WAS: Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2008-07-23 02:28 +0900 (Wed), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

/../

>> Anybody who links Windows Vista to the notion of disruptive innovation
>> needs to be beaten with a cluebat until unconscious.[1]....
>
> Sorry, that was my misuse of the word "disruptive." How about, "ability
> to change and make things better." While Windows Vista has some
> sustaining innovations in it, it also does a lot of things a lot worse
> than Windows XP, to the point where a noticable number of customers
> prefer to forego the innovations to avoid the bad side. His argument
> is that there was nobody at MS trying to produce an OS that a sizable
> fraction of their customers would think was worse than the previous
> version, but they couldn't help it.

This is mostly unknown territory for me, but it seems to me there is
are (more than) two sets of criteria for the (any?) products. For
example, there are demands made by manufacturers of hardware and
software consumables (content providers?) which are not along the
lines of things that will make the end-users of the OS happy; and then
there are end-user demands (productivity and business needs?) whose
implementation does make the end-users very happy. So in a poor
illustration, perhaps the union of different demand sets is the final
product, and the intersection between these demand sets can be very
difficult to achieve or such features must maybe even be removed to
the disapointment of the people who wished for them.

I see the work environment in Japan as something like this, for my own
comfort, and usually it is my demands which I have to give up. My
choice of jobs is not determined by how much or little I have to give
up of course, but usually some amount of sacrifice is inevitable.

Cheers, Gernot