Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo, WAS: Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Dave Brown wrote:

You must live on one end of the city and work on the other end, or
something.

Exactly. Nakano-ku to Gotenyama Hills (near Shinagawa), bus on both ends. Fortunately, I don't really work for the local office, per-se, so I end up going in about once a month (usually when there's a beer social or when folks are visiting from HQ (which usually means dinner and drinks on the company ;-).

But it's not bad. When I *do* do in it's between 9 and 10am and by that time there's plenty of time on the train to read. When I lived in LA I had a one-hour driving commute and I had two co-workers who carpooled from Newport Beach -- almost two hours each way.

BTW, in both my current company and my immediately previous company, if I were to take a stroll around the office at 7pm, the place would be pretty much deserted. Same thing at 9am. So the overtime thing doesn't hold for all companies. Then again, I've only worked for US-based companies here.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.