Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo, WAS: Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 04:54:04PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 2008-07-17 08:35 +0200 (Thu), Christian Horn wrote:
>
> > Working times. The workplace i was at (branch of it-corporation) was
> > expecting people to stay longer than agreed in the contract. Seems to be
> > common japanese style....
>
> Yup. And keep in mind, you can put yourself in a pretty bad position if
> you get fired at the wrong time, since if it's around visa renewal time,
> you won't be able to renew your visa until you find a new job.
>
> The best option, of course, is to find a job you like so much that you
> don't mind doing a lot of unpaid overtime. :-)

ACK, thats why i even though if it is a good idea to ask the question.
Work just has to provide enough fun to make you work longer by choice,
was just investigating if there are deep differences "in whats expected
from workers".

> Personally, I just bike to work. I live in Shibuya and work in Shinjuku,
> and it takes me less than fifteen minutes. (But I'm a fast rider.)

Thats exactly same as i currently do here in Munich, some movement twice
each day..

Thanks for all the answers, the topics i asked look better now :)

Christian