Re: [tlug] [test] please answer privately if you receive this email

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
>> One mail completely disappears in gmail process. When I post to tlug, there
>> are two mails: The one I sent, and the one the list sent me. Gmail
>> silently ignores the second one.
>
> I just made the experiment, sending an email to myself (from/to
> gmail). This is the same
> behaviour. The email enveloppe is the same, I only have the "sent" one
> (but it appears in
> inbox too).
> The implication is that if I remove the email from the inbox, it
> disappears fron the "Sent"
> folder too (I just tested this).
> This means that if I send an email to friends, and to myself, and if I
> decide to remove the
> received mail from my inbox, it will also vanish from my "sent" box
> (same effect if I CC myself
> to an email: the sent email will disappear if I remove the received one).

Gmail keeps only one copy of a mail and adds different tags to it. In
the imap-implementation it becomes interesting because every tag
creates a copy in different imap-folders. If you delete around the
copies in the imap-folders with an imap-client then it will remove
only the tags in the gmail-interface; if you remove a mail in the
gmail-interface it will remove the mail (and therefore all tags).

You shouldn't delete mail in gmail, just archive it (and that is the
goal what google wanted to reach and therefore it is imho consistent).

Niels