Re: [tlug] VirtualBox Capabilities

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 09:31:00AM +0900, CL wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:41:01PM +0900, CL wrote:
>
> I thought that if I had the appropriate drivers for the current kernel that
> everything would be copacetic, as in other programs.  But, am I correct in
> assuming that I am stuck with the kernel version current at the time I set up
> the VirtualBox?  Since -18 fixed some niggles in other programs, I'd prefer to
> be more current.  Is there a workaround?  I haven't found an FM to R on this
> subject, yet.

I'm not sure if you installed via apt or used the binary from their
page.  If the latter, then each time you upgrade the kernel, you will
have to run

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

This is because the module is built against the kernel.  Therefore, the
modules won't work properly because they're built for say, 2.6.17 and
you're now running 2.6.18.  (or whatever the numbers are.)  This is the
case whenever you have to install third party drivers, e.g., NVidia, or
the patched MadWifi snapshot to make an AR5007EG wireless work.

It's probably documented somewhere, but of course, that's one of the
things about Linux--much of the time you have to google, search, spend
hours to find out a simple one line command because no one ever bothered
to properly document it.

However, as the VBox docs are pretty good, it's probably in there
somewhere--that's not a criticism, it is the sort of small but important
thing that's hard to find.

I believe many of their developers use Ubuntu, and since that is what
you have, you should be in pretty good shape.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Mom, the only way you get a new slayer is if the old
slayer dies.
Joyce: Then that means you... When did you die? You never told me
you died.
Buffy: It was just for a few minutes.