Re: [tlug] VirtualBox Capabilities

Scott Robbins wrote:
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 05:51:18PM +0900, CL wrote:
VirtualBox comes with its own network drivers, so I am able to access my LAN and WAN without problem.
..and the vm can access networkservices offered on the lan, ok.

Are you using its builtin NAT networking, or bridged host interfacing. Various services don't work properly with the VBox default Nat networking. (There's a list somewhere in the manual.)

Built-in NAT. I'll have to go back and look for the list of which services don't work. I read up on bridged host interfacing and decided that I had enough on my plate without adding this, but it may be something to try.

Unfortunately, VBox 1.6 is having some issues with host interface
networking, though, as it seems fixed in subversion, it should be fixed
in the next release.

One of the things that jumped out early is that the box has a switched-on Intel 10/100/1000 LAN chip on board and the VBox driver for that service didn't work. I had to use the PC Net Fast III emulator, which worked immediately ... but I've never seen one before. And, despite having a working USB system, VBox can't find it. Which is no biggie since there is nothing on a USB connection that I want for this application, but still ...

Time to Re-RTFM.

--
CL