Re: [tlug] Linux telnet client issue

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 08:32:50PM -0700, SL Baur wrote:
> On 5/16/08, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>
> >  I don't think I have anything really unusual about it.  (That is, no
> >  special settings in .bashrc, .bash_profile or .xinitrc.  It doesn't work
> >  in console either, which probably eliminates X as the cause.)
>
> Would you mind posting those?  You also might try an `ls -a' of your
> $HOME and look for something interesting.  The likeliest answer seems
> to be that you have customized (probably without your knowledge) something
> in a way that breaks this.

===============
I haven't touched .bash_profile

# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
	. ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export PATH

I've customized .bashrc a bit.

# .bashrc

# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
	. /etc/bashrc
fi

# User specific aliases and functions
#PS1="\u@example.com \${PWD##*/} $ "
PS1="\[\033[1;34m\]\u@example.com;32m\]\h \[\033[1;36m\]\${PWD##*/} $ \[\033[0m\]"
alias cl=clear

.xinitrc

exec startfluxbox
#exec gnome-session
#exec startkde
#exec openbox-session

(I have a few different window managers and a script to choose them.)

ls -a is about 114 lines, but doesn't seem to contain anything unusual.
What do you think might be a culpript?

I should add that I booted an Ubuntu and Mandriva liveCd on a different
machine and got the same result.  The only case where I've gotten a bit
further, as far as Shawn did, was by booting an iso of PuppyLinux in a
kvm-qemu virtual machine.  In that case, I could get to the menu, but
couldn't enter anything after that.

The dotfiles from ls -a.

.adobe
.anthy
.config
.cvspass
.dbus
.dvdcss
.eggcups
.esd_auth
.fbhighlevelshistory
.fbrc
.fehbg
.fehrc

.fluxbox  ===> I've put some stuff in this one, but nothing unusual,
just some key binding.

.fontconfig
.gconf
.gconfd
.getmail
.gimp-2.2
.getmail
.gimp-2.2
.gnome
.gnome2
.gnome2_private
.gnupg
.gstreamer-0.10
.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
.ICEauthority
.icons
.java
.kchmviewer
.kde
.lesshst
.lftp
.macromedia
.mailfilter
.mcop
.mcoprc
.metacity
.mlterm
.mozilla
.mplayer
.msmtprc
.mutt_aliases
.muttrc
.nautilus
.nx
.opera
.pysol
.qt
.recently-used
.recently-used.xbel
.redhat
.rnd
rpmbuilds
rpmdownloads
.rpmmacros
.rtorrent.rc
.scim
.serverauth.11855
.serverauth.3114
.serverauth.3447
.serverauth.4877
.serverauth.5797
.serverauth.6899
.sh_history
.signature
.spamassassin
.ssh
.themes
.thumbnails
.Trash
.urlview
.viminfo
.vimrc
.VirtualBox
.VirtualBox16
vmware
.vmware

Thanks.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: I can't put it off any longer. I have to meet my
terrible fate.
Giles: What?
Buffy: Biology.