Re: [tlug] Bill Gates and the GPL , let the flames begin

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
On 2008-04-24 21:56 -0700 (Thu), SL Baur wrote:

> I hate the proliferation of different Open Source licenses. We're all
> on the same side, basically....

Actually, no, we're not. Folks who use things like the BSD licences for
their own new projects are on the side of, "feel free to do whatever
sort of programming you like." Folks who use the GPL are on the side of,
"we'd like to control what you can do with your own original source code
that you write."

I like the "Do whatever the hell you want" approach...  And if someone finds some way to make his copy of the code non-free...  Guess what, my copy is still good to go.  :P