Re: [tlug] Linux distro!: Centos is RHEL

On 4/21/08, Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:15 AM, SL Baur <steve@example.com> wrote:

> >  /../ the Vine Linux download page
>
> >  was incomprehensible and they're apt not rpm.
>

> While I certainly do not begrudge you your choices, I do feel you have
>  been somewhat rash in your comments: The Vine linux download page is
>  hardly very different from the Debian download page, with two
>  different ISO images available for download (i386 and PPC), as well as
>  access to the FTP server if you want to:

>  http://vinelinux.org/getvine-en.html#Download

It's a bloody oversized blank page!  except for some crap along the edges.

>  Or a simple explanation and condensed summary plus download links here:
>
>  http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04672
>
>  I admit that if you insist on RPM this is no good, and also if you are
>  in different architectures than i386 or PPC.

x86_64 would be a plus.

>  >  I'm almost willing to give up rpm compatibility if I get something in
>  >  return.  I still
>  >  remember the horror of Storm Linux and trying to remove a package in apt and
>  >  having 2/3 of my packages removed at the same time.
>

> I hate to say this, since I am a complete idiot at computers, but most
>  of your problems probably stem from not knowing how to use
>  synaptic/aptitude/apt/dpkg.

I've contributed patches to the RPM sources, I've built entire systems from
scratch with RPM at Turbolinux[1] and the machines I'm going to be installing
on will require some level of dealing with RHEL 4 compatibility because I must
plug into the corporate Linux infrastructure such as it is.

I'm glad Debian and apt have been good to you.  Some of my best friends are
Debian users, but it's not like I'd like either of my sons to marry
one someday. :-)

Anyway, it's not prejudice, but I have utterly no desire to waste billable hours
on learning apt.  Baby needs a new pair of shoes and all that ...

-sb

[1] Oh ... Turbolinux 7 for Compaq Alpha could have been a glorious release ...