Re: OSS and getting money for it (was: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks)

Edward Middleton writes:
 > Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > > Sure, there are exceptions to every rule.  My point is that you'll do
 > > much better on average if you assume that people can cover for each
 > > other, and worry more about ensuring sufficient amounts of resources
 > > that are not so flexible.
 >
 > I know this is the case in some industries, but is it really the case in
 > the software industry in general.

I don't really understand what you're asking.  The software industry
is a degenerate case in that "people" really is the *only* resource.
Nevertheless, the fundamental problem in the software industry is
trading men for months, not trading men for men.

Assuming that you do have professionals committed to the team, of
course.  If some uberhacker who has the design for a central module in
his head takes a walk with it half-coded, you're hosed, of course.
But management should not allow that to happen.