Re: OSS and getting money for it (was: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks)

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:39:04 +0900
Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

> > I assure you, it is.  Remember, from the owner's purely selfish point
> > of view, it's just an asset, and anything that makes giving away IP
> > "not much of a problem" would do the same thing for your house.  Would
> > you give that away?
> >

> I guess the problem is that for most companies worth investing in IP(as
> in the source code) isn't the big asset, its the people running the company.

I know only very few decission makers who actually get that.
Even in SMBs where this is more pronounced people get treated
like they are exchangable.

But what surprises me even more is that a lot of people, good
people, keep up with that. They don't switch to a better
job (where better doesn't necessarily mean better paid).
And thus managers with the "people are exchangable" attitude
don't get burned for their mistake.

			Attila Kinali
                         -- Deed of Morred