RE: OSS and getting money for it (was: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks)

<Snip>
> > I guess the problem is that for most companies worth investing in
> IP(as
> > in the source code) isn't the big asset, its the people running the
> company.
>
> I know only very few decission makers who actually get that.
> Even in SMBs where this is more pronounced people get treated
> like they are exchangable.
>
> But what surprises me even more is that a lot of people, good
> people, keep up with that. They don't switch to a better
> job (where better doesn't necessarily mean better paid).
> And thus managers with the "people are exchangable" attitude
> don't get burned for their mistake.
<snip>

Easier said than done.

The problem is a matter of comfort and confidence.  How do you
know if you leave one job that the next one will be better?  How
do you know there WILL be a next job.

If you are single, that decision is hard enough.  If you are
supporting a family, then it is that much more important to keep money
coming in.

That is the angle that most people look at the problem from.  They are
not saying "If I leave here, it will make a stand," or "things may get
better if they realize there are problems."  No, what they are saying is
"It's only a job, I have to feed my family."