Re: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks (was: linux: it's becoming ubiquitous)

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Edward Middleton writes:

> is trying to do something like this. Perhaps the ultimate business > model for open source development is something more like a stock > exchange where developers can auction project/developer time.

You do know about cosource.com and sourcexchange.com, right?

I hadn't really looked at these before but looking at this article[1] on sourceexchange.com I gather their model was to have contractors post jobs and get developers to fill them. In this situation you have one customer and possibly millions of eager developers ;) In the situation we are talking about we have a small number of developers developing something millions of customers are prepared to pay a small amount for. I don't know what happened at sourceexchange.com before they presumably ran out of money and couldn't renew their domain name, but, I would imagine, at best, they had thousands of contractors offering projects at well bellow the production cost and no interested developers.

Edward

1. http://linuxgazette.net/issue56/lamb.html