Re: [tlug] Freely distributable Japanese capable utf8 font?

Dave M G wrote:
I seem to need to have the difference between encoding and fonts explained to me over and over. I can't ever quite keep it straight.

In any case, is there no such thing as a font that can handle any and all scripts?

How does Google manage it? It seems possible to come up with searches in any language and all scripts seem to display properly.

Encodings say what bits and bytes to use to store specific characters, your fonts contain the information on how to render these characters to, for example, to the screen. Google searches just need to insure that all the sources are in the same encoding (e.g. UTF-8), and generally just leave your browser to work out how to display the result. There are corner cases where characters encoded in one encoding are ambiguous for example the \ ¥ character in Shift_JIS.

Edward