Re: [tlug] Freely distributable Japanese capable utf8 font?

Dave M G wrote:
TLUG,

I'm working on some PHP code which will later be distributed as open source.

Part of the code generates images with text in it, in English and Japanese. For that, I need to have a font included with my code.

After some web searching, it seemed that the font FreeSans.ttf would do the trick. It appeared at first to be both freely distributable (GPL, I think), and have all the character sets.

But, it turns out that for Japanese, it only has kana, and no kanji.

I'm looking for a font, hopefully sans-serif, that has the ability to render utf8 Japanese characters, and I can bundle with my code.

Does anyone know of a font that I could use?

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Fonts

has:
Japanese:
Unmodulated: Sazanami Gothic (project-specific BSD-like DFSG compatible)
Modulated: Sazanami Mincho (project-specific BSD-like DFSG compatible)
Screen: Sazanami Gothic (project-specific BSD-like DFSG compatible)