[tlug] Freely distributable Japanese capable utf8 font?

TLUG,

I'm working on some PHP code which will later be distributed as open source.

Part of the code generates images with text in it, in English and Japanese. For that, I need to have a font included with my code.

After some web searching, it seemed that the font FreeSans.ttf would do the trick. It appeared at first to be both freely distributable (GPL, I think), and have all the character sets.

But, it turns out that for Japanese, it only has kana, and no kanji.

I'm looking for a font, hopefully sans-serif, that has the ability to render utf8 Japanese characters, and I can bundle with my code.

Does anyone know of a font that I could use?