Re: [tlug] Apache MPM performance

On 11/03/2008, Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung16plus+shape@example.com> wrote:

> By default, valgrind runs memchek and it is equivalent to
>  valgrind --tool=memcheck
>  which will check memory leak.
>
>  if we run
>  valgrind --tool=massif[1]
>  it will profile the heap usage of the program to be run.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

>  I use massif as a "unit test" checking how much, and how long the
>  memory is used.

That is not what a unit test is, but I applaud your dedication to testing. :)

> Actually, valgrind is not for debugging but profiling and optimization.

As you noted above, it runs a memory leak check by default. I call
that a debugging tool. :)

valgrind is a very useful tool for systems programming in C, but I've
not used it with C++. Does it handle demangling C++ namespaces nicely?

--
Cheers,
Josh