Re: [tlug] Apache MPM performance

On 11/03/2008, Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung16plus+shape@example.com> wrote:

>  Under Linux, I have a much more powerful tool: valgrind massif - which
>  can count how may time and memory a program takes to run ( as Josh
>  told me be, memory space is always a tradeoff ). Massif even can tell
>  me which functions take more time or memory.

What is the difference between valgrind massif and regular old valgrind?

valgrind and vmstat are really for two different things; the former is
for optimising and debugging your code, the latter for watching the
effect of your code plus the full environment around it (i.e. Linux
kernel + Apache + mod_perl + your code).

Solaris *must* have a tool like vmstat, as all vmstat does is
aggregate data available through the /proc filesystem, which Solaris
and all good Unices support. Anyone know what it is called and how to
use it?

--
Cheers,
Josh