Re: [tlug] Asus EEE in Japan [C&C]

On Mon, January 28, 2008 10:55, Walter Hansen wrote:
> Just an idea, but perhaps some sort of non-profit website could be set
> up, where fully licensed and legit widows software was given away to those
> that could use them (for the cost of shipping). If you have something that
> your never going to use why not give it to somebody who could use it. Not
> only would this be a goodwill idea, but it would also serve to promote the
> news of "another option". At the very least it would prevent someone from
> actually going out and buying windows.

I think some Windows licenses forbid this.  AFAIK in many cases the copy
of Windows is licensed to the particular hardware it was sold with and
cannot (legitimately) be sold separately.

It ought to be possible to reject the EULA that (should) appear when the
PC is turned on for the first time.  In which case the remedy is to return
the (unused) copy of Windows to the retailer or manufacturer (it varies)
for a refund.  I did try this in New Zealand (where I'm from) with an NEC
laptop, but it became, um, too difficult.

I have not purchased an EEE in Japan, and most likely I will not.  Instead
I shall pick one up in Hong Kong or elsewhere.  Interestingly, the EEE in
Japan is more expensive than the EEE in New Zealand (and NZ sales tax is
12.5%).  Not to mention it was for sale in NZ months before Japan (but
after I left!).  When it comes to technology I am used to NZ being a
pleasant sleepy backwater compared to Japan.

Andrew