Re: [tlug] Asus EEE in Japan

Andrew Errington wrote:
Well, it's here.  It has a Japanese keyboard and Windows XP.

I spoke to a couple of sales people at different stores in Tokyo today who
told me that all of Japan has only the 4G XP model with Japanese keyboard.
 No-one seems to be stocking the original Linux model.
ASUS said that Japanese language problem made them unable to release a Linux version here at this time (most likely the same Japanese language problem that causes this problem--Microsoft and some form of business giri) The first EEEPcs was released was reportedly released in Taiwan.

I refuse to buy one even though I could wipe it and install Linux.
I did and I installed ubuntu and it works well. I used the NDISwrapper method for wifi and it all just works well. (tehre is a released driver as well but you will need to compile it as a module and the NDISWrapper method went in like a dream so I didn't see the need to continue)
The camera also works perfectly (just make sure to switch it to NTSC as the PAL default causes it to report an error)

Its a little light on memory (knew that going in but this is for my travel machine) I was on the road Sat using my install after 40+ minutes it was reporting I still had almost 3hrs of battery left.

I just love it. (although at 800X600<480> I would say don't count on all apps being usable-no one seems to know what SVGs are or want to require 1024X768 a pox on them)

Anyway I am playing happily on it.

Dave (the other dave)

I suppose it is possible that someone will stock it later on, after all, it was only officially released here yesterday.

:(

The phrase comes from a toast written by General John Stark on July 31, 1809.
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.