Re: [tlug] [Announcement] TLUG Technical Meeting 2008-01-12 streamcast

Hi,

Thanks for joining us online yesterday.  I was very happy that I could
make a successful broadcast.  There were 4 simultaneous connections at
the peak.

And thanks again to host people and speakers for giving me such an
opportunity.

On Jan 12, 2008 11:46 PM, Edward Middleton
<emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
> This is a good idea for the future, but as we didn't really give our
> speakers and audience much advanced warning, so sticking to the slides
> was safer this time round.  I though 640x480 would be a nicer resolution
> to broadcast but we may start getting bandwidth problems.

Regarding the stream quality, I think the problem mainly exists in the
poor performance of video encoder software.  The stream of last
meeting was produced on Debian Linux by this pipeline (very simplified
for explanation):

dvgrab --format raw - | ffmpeg2theora -f dv -x 320 -y 240 -o
/dev/stdout - | oggfwd broadcast.keshi.org 8000 ??? /tlug.ogg

In this pipeline ffmpeg2theora is not optimized for SIMD instructions
and multicore.  It couldn't produce 640x480 stream in real time even
on Core Duo 2.0GHz PC.

With proprietary encoders and OSes we can provide a stream of nicer
quality as much as 640x480 in 300Kbps.  Actually there are some
free-of-charge proprietary encoders, however, it also forces audience
to install proprietary player or decoder, which is not always good.

Now I'm personally interested in Adobe Flash Media Encoder/Server and
Red5, the opensource alternative of FMS.  Maybe you can watch "live"
streams with Flash plugin of web browser as easily as YouTube.

Regards,
--
YAEGASHI Takeshi <t@example.com> <takeshi@example.com> <yaegashi@example.com>