Re: [tlug] Need Linux PDA recommendations

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:45:50PM +0900, Johan Berntsson wrote:
> I've used a Nintendo DS for my Japanese language studies on the
> morning train, but there seems to be no good interval-based training
> vocabulary program available for that computer.
>
> An alternative would be Mnemosyne (Python, GTK) on a Linux PDA. Can
> anyone can recommend a PDA which I can easily install Linux? I would
> like working WiFi, so Zaurus is out (and they're too expensive - I'm
> willing to pay about 30-40 thousand yen).

    I've not been very satisfied with having Linux on a PDA do much besides
getting Linux on there.  Perhaps that is just me.  The Zaurii clamshell
line are not so bad as a Japanese dictionary with handwriting recognition
however I think most 電子辞書 have this capability now so that's a moot
point.

    Why not spring for an Asus Eee which is a full Linux laptop in a small form?
I've found the idea of getting some app on a PDA that needs Linux ends up being
a chase for getting Linux then compiling all the libraries plus the app at
which point I've forgotten the original point of why I got it.  Perhaps other
people have had better experiences with it.

Alain