[tlug] Linux, laptop, and s-video output

TLUG,

I'd like to do a presentation from my Linux (Ubuntu Gutsy) laptop. The projector that will be handling the display takes s-video input.

The laptop has an s-video output. And, if I boot into Windows XP with the s-video connected, it automatically outputs the same image that is on the laptop screen. It would seem the hardware is good to go.

As much as I tried, I could not get a similar behavior out of Linux. Of course, I was just shooting around in the dark, so I'm not surprised that I couldn't get it to work.

But after a little Google searching, it seems that I'm asking one of those questions that is so basic, everyone assumes it's already answered. All the pages I've seen that discuss s-video output on a Linux laptop already have it working, and are discussing how to improve or change it.

Does anyone here have any insight into what I need to do to get s-video output from my laptop?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G