[tlug] IPv6 in Japan

Scott Robbins writes:

 > A rather acrimonious discussion came up on NYCBUG (B as in BSD) about
 > IPv6 recently.
 >
 > We gaijin are curious, is it becoming popular in Japan?  That is, if you
 > call the average provider, and say, by the way, do you have IPv6, do
 > they say, Mochiron or do they say, Ano---sumimasen, kitta koto ga nai'n
 > desu.

The WIDE Project (centered at Keio U, I believe) has always been one
of the main proponents and developers of IPv6.  I've never seen an
IPv6 address in the wild, though.  (I admit I haven't looked hard.)

What exactly do you mean by "have IPv6", by the way?  For example,
every recent Linux box "has IPv6" in the sense of having very
conformant implementations of getaddrinfo and friends.  Do you mean
"offers routing of IPv6 addresses" or "offers assignments of IPv6
addresses" or "complies with IPv6 protocols" or what?