Re: [tlug] ftp client for linux

For GUI ftp I use Konquerer.  Just type ftp:// in the address bar and it will
act as an ftp client, but present the (remote) ftp filestore just like any
local filesystem.

For scripted ftp I used, er, 'ftp'.  You can control 'ftp' by redirecting a
file to it.

For example, my file auto_ftp:

open ftpserver.domain.com
user myusername mypassword
cd graphs
put day.png
quit

And a snippet from my daily cron job which uses it (it collects data over the
day and makes a graph.  The graph is then uploaded to the website using ftp):

#echo
#echo "Uploading graph..."

# Send the graph to the server
ftp -n < /home/user/auto_ftp

#echo "Done!"

The disadvantage, if there is one, is that the ftp password is stored in
plaintext in a file.  You can use Linux file permissions to make it locally
secure, but it goes out as plaintext on the wire anyway.  You can also use
a .netrc file as described in the man page (it's still plaintext).

I am using Mepis on my laptop, which is derived from Ubuntu.

% man ftp
FTP(1)                    BSD General Commands Manual                   FTP(1)

NAME
     ftp - Internet file transfer program

SYNOPSIS
     ftp [-pinegvd] [host [port]]