[tlug] ftp client for linux

First the meta-question: There has to be a better way. I spent a looong time googlehunting to try to find where to find the best way to find out how to get an ftp client running. The next thing is a programming editor: how should I _start_ this task?

Anyway, the question: I found gftp, which seems to be the most commonly mentioned ftp client, installed it in a flash, and tried using it.

Basically, it doesn't (in any reasonable sense) work. Yes, I have made several successful transfers, but in between it's crashed lots of times (at least I found out about xkill), lots of things just don't work (you hunt through the menus, as is the way with modern computing, find a button called "Stop transfer", but as far as I could tell it had no effect at all).

Annoyances:

I'm trying to use SSH, because I understand that is secure where the basic FTP protocol isn't, and gftp has an option for SSH2, but I have to reselect it every time I connect (which was a lot of times).

File dates are in the Completely Insane Jumble format, with the day of the week at one end and the year at the other, and lots of stuff of varying significance in random order in between.

I'm not very impressed. I notice some people said "It works OK for me", others said "It crashes all the time", so I suppose I'm the wrong sort of people. I do like the fairly uncomplicated layout - I simply need to be able to transfer blocks of files, mostly Up, and I'm not looking for fancy terminal emulators or any of the other stuff that some "FTP clients" seem to boast.

I'm currently using xubuntu, but I will probably try gnome next <g>.

Any suggestions?