Re: [tlug] Newbie: WINE Whine

On 10/19/07, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
> I installed Ekisupaato.
>
> It runs, but all of the moji are question marks; all of the menu labels
> are mojibake of another type.  I happen to know that the encoding for
> that program is Shift-JIS but it is acting as though the system encoding
> is UTF or ISO2022-JP.

By the way, if you know that the encoding is Shift-JIS, you could
probably set up a Shift-JIS locale for Japanese on your linux setup,
and run your linux version of Ekisupaato using the "export
LC_MESSAGE=ja_JP.SJIS" (if I remember correctly and if a Shift-JIS
locale exists).

I found that there is a locale called ja_JP.SJIS by looking into
/etc/locale.alias, but I don't know how to add it to the locales
actually used (you could do it with "dpkg-reconfigure locales" on
debian systems but for some reason it doesn't work on ubuntu 7.04).

HTH,

Evan