[tlug] Newbie: WINE Whine

Okay, having put my foot in it, I guess it is time to check out WINE.  I
read the Wiki, I went to WineHQ and I have a couple of extremely basic
questions:

1.  WINE 0.9.46 is the currently installed version in Kubuntu 7.10 but
Wine HQ has 0.9.47 available.  The former is the version that is
supposed to have improved CJK support.  Does anyone know whether the
latter is better or fixes anything important?  I just don't want to
create new problems ... yet.

2.  I am a little confused by the Wiki's instructions (apologies for
excessive quoting, but I have a question based upon the whole thing):

To install Windows applications using Wine, follow these
instructions:

1. Download the Windows application from any source (e.g. download.com). Download the .EXE (executable).

2. Place it in a convenient directory (e.g. the desktop, or home folder).

3.  Open the terminal, and cd into the directory where the .EXE is
located.

4. Type wine the-name-of-the-application.extension (e.g. wine
realplayer.exe).

This will start the .EXE using Wine. If it is an installer, it should
then run as it would in Windows. If the application asks for a
directory to install the application to, select put it under
C:\Program Files.

Does this mean that, if I have an installation CD, I have to copy the entire contents to a subdirectory on my HDD (on my Desktop) before attempting to install using WINE? If not, I can't find a way that WINE tells the installer to go look on the CD for the other files.

3. One CD is telling me I need to be Administrator, but loading WINE
using "kdesu" doesn't seem to work. It may be a result of doing
something wrong prior to this or not loading the entire CD on to my HDD (?).

4. Japanese programs ... 0.9.46 is supposed to have working CJK support.
The test case is Ekisupaato. The mojibake I get are consistent with the
results I get in WIN when I specify UTF and the encoding is Shift-JIS.
Do I need to somehow specify a flavor of "JP" in my "~$ locale" settings
to get Shift-JIS support?

5. Besides the two sites mentioned above, is there any other good /
better source of support for a WINE newbie?

--
CL