Re: [tlug] Newbie: Kubuntu Configuration

Darren Cook wrote:

If you go to SCIM setup (e.g. right-click the scim icon in the panel at
the top of the screen does it for me) you can choose the key bindings to
switch scim on. If you then go to the anthy sub-section of that setup
you can choose different keys for all its functions too. (I just noticed
they have a drop-down menu where you can choose a key binding theme,
like atok or MS-IME.)

There is a newish "Japanese Input and Fonts in Ubuntu 7.04" that was much more correct in it's instructions that the 6.06 version. The instructions led to the pull-down menu you mentioned and, since I am most familiar with MS-IME, I selected it. Seems to work well.

As for reassigning the keys, the main switch is "LShft + Space." I wanted to change the selection to "LShft + LAlt" like it is in XP but it is not being accepted / saved. The main problem I have is when typing fast I type "LShft + I" then hit the space bar before I release the LShft key, and that switches input to Anthy. I think it will be easier to find another key combination than it will be to teach myself to type differently.

Try opening a shell, then type
  export LANG=ja_JP.UTF8;oocalc

This opens OO Calc with Japanese menus. Change oocalc to the name of
your app. If that works then you can make a Custom Application Launcher
(or the KDE equivalent) with the above as the command.

All of my OO programs seem to have a "Language" selection tab that changes menu language without the instruction. Trying it with, does the same. Thanks for teaching me that one. I'll try it with some Japanese programs and see what happens.

--
CL