[tlug] Newbie: Kubuntu Configuration

Couple of questions:

1. I assume that all of the fanfare over Kubuntu 7.10 on ZD and it's impending release this week doesn't need to concern me if I already installed the upgrade and am doing daily updates ... or am I missing out on some new features that won't get installed if go that route?

2. Just wanted to first announce that I have "successfully" (sic) installed scim-anthy and can switch input back and forth between J <-> E. Unfortunately, some of my regular typing habits are switching me between languages at unintended moments. I'll try to straighten that out on my own.

My real question concerns setting up my general desktop environment for both English and Japanese software. In XP, language settings allow me to keep English as my main system setting and view software menus for programs that support it, while being able to install and use Japanese-language software and using Japanese menus only within those programs that do not support English menus or help files.

But, in Kubuntu, setting my main system language to English, yields mojibake in Japanese language program menus (although _most_ content appears correctly -- I can easily read Japanese web sites in Firefox and e-mail in Kmail, for instance). If I set the desktop language to Japanese, then all of the Kubuntu menus and related help / support files are Japanese which is not something I am willing to endure.

How do I keep my basic English desktop with fully functioning English online help and basic support services in English, but get full Japanese functionality (including support for Japanese menus when that's all there is) in Kubuntu. I can't seem to find the right combination of choices that gives me that balance. I thought I had achieved that once before in a previous install of unadulterated Debian, but do not recall what I did, nor whether that was wishful thinking.

--
CL